Editor’s note: Six Strategies for Success can also be found on Positively Positive.
“What is not started today is never finished tomorrow.” ~ Goethe
The beginning of each year is when we have the most energy, hope, and desire to create a successful new year. Although it can be overwhelming, this is exactly the time you want to be thinking, crafting, and gaining clarity so you can put your ideas into high gear in the New Year.
I believe that everyone wants to improve and live his or her best life. The questions are what do you want and how do you get it??
I encourage my clients to spend less time on New Year’s resolutions that they probably won’t keep and more time on the truly important stuff. Here’s what I want to know:
* What’s important to you?
* Why is it important?
* What are you committed to making a priority in your life?
Yes, simple yet complicated.
As you think about the above questions, consider these 4 strategies to help you have your best year yet. I will share more strategies this week.
1. DROP THE SHOULDS: I don’t care about what you should do, or rather what society and other people think you should do. I want to know what YOU want to do. That’s what you need to go after.
2. START WITH THE IDEAL VISION: Train your mind to start with the ideal outcome and vision for what you want. Even if something seems like a long shot, there’s no need to compromise before you even start. Remember, all the great masters started as beginners. So whether you want to change careers, start a new business, or buy your first home — you CAN do it!
3. GET A GOAL: Happy people set goals! Plain and simple. We all need something to look forward to and work toward. And do me a favor, set a goal that truly excites you and adds meaning to your life rather than setting the same goal you’ve had for the past ten years (but not completed such as lose 10 pounds)…learn something new and move outside your comfort zone. There’s no substitute for that feeling of, “I did it.” Yes, your goals need to be specific, measurable, actionable, and have a time target but the real movement starts when you go after something that is both important to you and a priority in your life. To read more about goals, check out my blogs on GOALS.
4. BUILD A TOP 1% TEAM & SURROUND YOURSELF WITH WINNERS: Surround yourself with people who believe in you and want to see you do well. And, it’s important to spend time with people who inspire you and help you think expansively! Your Top 1% Team needs to energize and fuel you rather than drain your energy. Your team can include people, ideas, books, quotes, classes, conferences and more. Basically, anything that inspires you and helps you improve!
Top 1% Bottom Line: Ideas combined with actions are a compelling combo that will make you feel good. Now is the time to put into practice your most powerful and meaningful rituals for a fantastic new year. I believe in you. Now show yourself what you can do! Feel free to share your best strategies for success in the comments section.
Alissa Finerman is an Executive Coach and Gallup Certified Strengths Coach, speaker and author of Living in YOUR Top 1%. She works with managers, C-suite executives and teams to leverage strengths, shift beliefs and achieve meaningful goals. Alissa has an MBA from the Wharton School and a BA from the University of California, Berkeley. She has worked with Ross Stores, Petco, BNP Paribas, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, Brookfield Property Partners, Neutrogena, Bristol-Myers Squibb and Dress for Success. To learn more about coaching with Alissa, please visit her website and follow her on Facebook